Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Elder Jepsen - Mission Entry 032 - Sharing the Bread of Life

Things are GREAT all around. Thunder Bay's other companionship just had another baptism. She has allowed God a good solid place in her life already, studies the scriptures faithfully and I am happy for her. My beliefs mean a great deal to me, it's made the difference in countless situations in my life already and adds a whole other dimension to life. It warms my heart when others open up their lives to those same options that has done so much for me.

Unfortunately, some of the people we teach seem to run some really tight schedules, or rank their priorities differently than what could be seen as optimal for learning about the gospel and building up a healthy line of communication with God. It saddens and frustrates me as I know that if they only knew the importance of the gospel they would choose differently. I know what the Atonement can do for people and if they would only accept Jesus Christ into their lives, they would see so many reasons to feast on His words. One could say that all progress is good progress, but slow progress almost wears down as fast as it builds up!

I love these people that we teach, but we have to rank teaching over driving around to appointments that don't materialize. We can only spend the same hour once and we have to consider where it's best spent. I wish we had more time, but I can't help thinking that I have to use my time properly as I feel that I somehow will have to account to the Lord for how I've chosen to spend each hour of this mission. It's a thought that weighs rather heavily on my shoulders. To think that the Lord may have to choose and prioritize in the same way as we do is actually a bit scary. The Lord has people ready and prepared out there and if we're continually knocking on the same few doors, how are we to find them? I have only two years.

On a more upbeat note, the family that took us out to Dog Lake, invited us over for pumpkin carving. It was nice and relaxing and it was of course cool to be with them as they just happen to be way awesome. Another one of the people we are teaching is scheduled for baptism. She took us to a hockey game (called Ice Hockey in Denmark, my first game ever). Thunder Bay's
Lakehead University has a hockey team called the "Thunder Wolves" and they were up against Brock University's team called the "Brock Badgers." Brock University is located in St. Catherines in Southern Ontario (also known as Ontario's "Bible Belt" located just North of Ontario's "Banana Belt" and yes, Ontario has a "Banana Belt" but I think it's on a more theoretical level) on the Canadian side of Niagara Falls. The weather is so much milder there, that a few boys from Ontario's deep South were no match for the "Thunder Wolves" and they won 4-3! It was a lot of fun and I think I really like hockey! It was nice spending some good time with someone we are teaching and getting to know them under different circumstances.

Thanks for the recipe on Danish Rice Pudding, I will put it to use as soon as possible! I have been boasting about the cool Danish Rice Pudding to some people that my mother makes for me and have promised to treat them to some. Now I actually have the recipe and I can make my own. YES!.. So you can have your cake and eat it too!

I know that there are people out there who specifically has prayed to receive help, people that are seeking the truth and truly are thirsting for God's undiluted words. God has touched their hearts and they are there waiting for us to find, we just have to be sufficiently humble to be in tune for God's directions. In a world where it is increasingly difficult to find people that rate being honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous, and believing in doing good as worthwhile goals, there are those with a sufficiently pure heart that still believe in and hope to find others around them who appreciate those very principles. Some live right here in Thunder Bay, we just have to pray hard enough to find them.

Well, time waits for no one. Have to run and try to catch it.

Love ya all!

Elder Jepsen


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...