Thursday, November 26, 2009

Elder Jepsen - Mission Entry 36 - Grateful to be here!

At a talk at the Missionary Training Center in Provo,Utah Elder M. Russel Ballard was speaking of the attitude that follows a dedicated missionary with a sense of humor in trials: "If you get up and it's snowing and a cold wind is blowing and it's -25 degrees where you are, you can say to your companion, "Elder, Look! We get to be persecuted all day! Isn't it wonderful?! We get to get out there and see if we can stay alive, declaring the message of the Restoration!""

I thought it to be inspiring and entertaining at the least, but I will have to save that thought for later, because thankfully the weather still allows us to walk around in the same attire as we did five months ago. I've learned that
Canada actually only has two seasons: Touque or no touque (touque is Canadian for a small woolen hat or beanie with no brim). I am learning all the time.

We're teaching some awesome people that I would tell you all about if I had more than the five minutes that I have now. There is one though, that I would like to squeeze in there. She's just a few years older than us and she just happens to be awesome. Like we should as missionaries, we love and care for the people we teach and we've been doing our best to teach her the tools to get through some of life's obstacles. I have learned a lot from teaching her, as she has become a good and true friend. She has a genuine conviction of the gospel, is working towards baptism and will be a valuable addition to the church here. I feel that I am the one that comes away as the most blessed to meet the people I do. As people begin to read the scriptures and the Spirit touches their heart, they catch the vision, seek out the Lord in humility and prayer for help and a witness. Suddenly they are as spiritual giants in leaps and bounds passing obstacles that others continue to battle. It inspires me, lifts up my Spirit and broadens my horizon immensely. Feeling the love for the people we teach within me, as we teach helps me appreciate my Saviour's love for me.

Canada had their Remembrance Day (some call it Veteran's Day or Armistice Day) on November eleventh. After playing "Last Post" all of Canada and probably all of the Commonwealth had two minutes silence on the eleventh hour, of the eleventh day, in the eleventh month, tocommemorate the men and women who died while in the military service. After the two minutes silence, they played "The Rouse" (I sounded the same as Reveille) and later some other stuff. It's a time where respects are paid and flowers are placed on the unknown soldiers grave. We attended and it gave me a lot to think about besides the obvious such as "Where would Europe or the World be if Canada, the US and the Commonwealth hadn't stepped up and paid the ultimate price?" I couldn't help it, I found it very moving and wrote a poem (no need to fear, I didn't bring it).

Other than the missionary routine that can be expected as normal for every other missionary in our mission this time of year: Freezing, teaching, praying and studying, we sometimes have the opportunity to do something a little out of the ordinary. The South Side missionaries visit a member of the church at a care home from time to time. A couple a weeks ago they had a clergy meeting with the other ministers that attend to the needs of the people from their own denominations. A task that had to be taken care of was a memorial service that had to be conducted, planned for and arranged. The memorial service is for those of the care center that have passed away. Now since all the other ministers had various tasks and excuses for the given day, they as missionaries ended up with the task... and then me. Well, it had to be done and it's important to those remaining when someone has passed away. Being much too thick to think of the awesome responsibility in handling someone last memories of their loved ones I took on the task. Tomorrow, I will then be conducting a memorial service, with some scripture readings and a poem by T. S. Eliot (We Shall Not Cease From Exploration) and my own little thing. it's been quite the task and I'm actually glad I could help.

I wish I had time to write everybody all the time, but I just don't have that kind of time. If I was to take the time I would unjustly take it from the people we are to find and teach and they're the real purpose for me being here. I am only out here for two years and then my chance to reach these people is spent and the time all gone. I will try my best to get some words off to everybody some time, but my time is short and I hope you just all read the blog where my Dad posts my mails, that I can share what I have with all of you. I love you all and with your support and your thoughts in my heart I can be strong in my service to the Lord.

Paul, you're a great big brother. Thank you for being such an example to me and being there as my brother when I need it. Thank you for your words, it was good to hear from you. I am sorry I don't have more time, but know that I love you, bro.

I have the greatest Bishop, please thank him for allowing me to focus on my mission and his willingness to help me out of my well-marinated pickles.

Some people can't be named more aptly than priceless, they truly are in every way of the word, I am learning so much while on my mission. Please let Anita and her husband know of my deep gratitude for their regular greetings and encouragement, thank you.


Love you all!

Elder Jepsen






No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...