Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Elder Jepsen - Mission Entry 025 - 1-800-Dial-a-Baptism

This week I once again had the blessing of seeing my testimony grow. The Lord truly loves the people in this area the way that He prepares both them and us. We do our missionary work every week, but it was as if I this week in particular saw a clear relation in how the Lord blesses us when he finds our effort acceptable and the time is right. It could seem that perhaps we are doing something right. Now I just have to remember what that was and we can do it every week. But wait, if that doesn't happen I guess it wasn't us at all, but instead the Lord's hand at work. We just work here. ;-)

A woman phoned us up one day and said she wanted to be baptized... just like that... out of the blue. She had met with the elders four years ago and it had come to a halt for some reason.

Then she recently had a dream where she was reading in the Book of Mormon, and definitely read the word "Apocalypse" very clearly. Still in her dream, she reacted by saying out loud "I should have gotten baptized while I had the chance." This was at first particularly unsettling to her because she was reading "Apocalypse" as a synonym to "Armageddon," much more like an all encompassing version of our more recent and already horrifying September 11th.

I then proceeded to explain to her that the word itself actually simply meant "revealed," "uncovered," or even "morning of Divine light" and actually applies to all books of scripture, as the "Revelation of John" is also known as the "Apocalypse" and the word just got a bad rep because of the contents of that particular book. However, the word applied to her in the way that this was an uncovering of truth for her, a revelation to her from God mapping out a course of action for her to follow.

With that settled she was all for baptism. Well that is... she was all for baptism already when she called us, we just work here. Obviously there's a lot more to the story, but to shorten a long story we have planned for her baptism a month from now, on her birthday.

The Lord really is helping us, and I'm glad we were prepared. I know He sends the prepared hearts to prepared missionaries. At least we're doing something right. ;-)

Some times I can't help thinking that the Book of Mormon could do the missionary work all by itself without our help, if people would only read (or hear from the audio files for download) the Book of Mormon with an open heart. How could people not know of its truthfulness, flocking to the churches to be baptized?

The more we know the Book of Mormon the easier life seems to get. Not that any book will ever remove the problems and obstacles that we are to learn from in life. But, if we were to open our hearts to the truths contained in the Book of Mormon it could change our point of view, our attitude and perspective and that changes everything. I have learned that from you Mom and Dad, after seeing you live through the bumps (well, more like mountains) on your road and still be alive. You've always kept your eye on the ball and didn't waver. I know it has been hard, but I don't like to think of the consequences, had you not had knowledge of God's truth. I may not have your knowledge of the scriptures, but you've taught me to know they're true and I will always appreciate that. I love you both for what you have given me.

If people applied the teachings of the Book of Mormon to their lives, how could they not know of its truthfulness? If people opened up themselves to the Book of Mormon and prayed as is suggested in the Book of Moroni, how could they not know of the truthfulness?

All the people that know of the Book of Mormon, but don't know the Book of Mormon--don't they want to know, don't they want happiness?

It's both a privilege and responsibility to have a knowledge of the truth although many people won't listen to what we have to say. But, I sometimes think that if we all prayed together for those who didn't have God's truth (anybody) to have a chance to feel the certainty of truth, recognize it and the opportunity to accept a continuous growth of God's truth in their hearts, we could all begin to share some hope.

I love you all! From what you tell me is happening at home, I'm convinced that the blessings from my work here spreads a little like rings in the water. Could you please make a request for some communications from Paul to come my way now and then? I really miss hearing from him. How's Jen doing? I miss Eric something terrible, if he could only manage to wrap the fury of those fist punches of his and send me some. I actually miss that "brotherly love" of his.


Toodles!

Your Elder Son



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...